Featured post

What if the NHS routinely used patient accessible language?

What if the NHS routinely used patient accessible language? Why does the NHS routinely use medical language such as ‘Renal’ rath...

Friday 24 February 2017

Just who is this an improvement for? 

Why designing ‘better services’ needs user input.



A recent Kings fund blog talks about pressures on GP services, specifically the problem of providing both rapid access and continuity of care reminded me that the need to treat patients as individuals is important at a system level. Here are some of my personal experiences and opinions of accessing NHS services.
Personally I have had so many changes in staff at my GP’s that there is little hope of continuity of care, and for most of the time it has not mattered in the least to me, but for other people this will be a different story. We are all different with different needs and priorities: while my elderly neighbour with a complex medical history is happy to fit around her GP’s availability, I would rather that appointments fit around my busy life. I have a feeling that trying to provide services to meet pre-conceived ideas of what patients want just leads to causing problems elsewhere. In the days when I had a long commute to work I wished that my health records could be shared or held by me, and I could visit a GP near work sometimes and near home at other times, I was not at all bothered by who I saw.
 One of the recent changes at my GP’s is to have a call back from a member of staff if you have an urgent problem as not all patients can be given appointments on the day. This sounds great, but it seems to assume that you will be able to take a phone call at any time. My experience was that firstly despite me requesting that my mobile number was used the home phone was called and I missed it and spent all day in a cycle of missing and trying to return calls. I would have much preferred to go and sit in the waiting room for a few hours actually.
This made me wonder about some of the reasoning behind the changes – what are the assumptions at work here? When coming up with the new ways of working is there an assumption that if you need an appointment with GP or nurse that you won’t have responsibilities like dropping kids off at school, having to go out and buy things, another appointment to go to, or even work and leisure activities perhaps? I understand that services cannot take into account every individual situation, but without user involvement there is a risk that despite best intentions new ways of working eg telephone triage will make it even harder for some patients.

1 comment:

  1. Herbal medicine is the best 💓💓Greetings I am here to testify how great man called Dr OMO helped me out with herbs and roots which he prepared for me in use of curing my fibroids and Getting pregnant after 8 years of try to conceive with fibroids I takes his product (cure for my fibroid made with herbal medicine Root) for (21) days before I am to known I was totally pregnant after 2months of using dr omo herbs he also have Herbal medical for all types of diseases, and i promised him that i will tell the world about his Great job he ask me to drink from the herbal medicine before meeting my husband I did and after 2months I was pregnant thank you for your great job he can also help you if you have a low sperm count you want to convince a baby fast PCOS ,infections, stomach ulcer ,u Endometriosis cancer, yeast infection, fibromyalgia, Gonorrhea, Chronic Sinus, LUPUS

    low testosterone, Herpes, blocked fallopian tubes Liver parasites ovarian cysts Arthritis, pile, ALS, Crowns and all other type of diseases, breast cancer, Get lost period back, stop period pain, Email : dromo596@gmail.com WhatsApp him on +2349033505260 thank you..Dr Omo. Please help me share and save others God bless you all

    ReplyDelete